This is an open blog, to any and all that would like to share their thoughts on ways that you find strength throughout life.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Opposition

Everything has its opposite. Light and dark. Hot and cold. Happiness and sadness. Pain and pleasure. We have been taught, through the fall of Adam, that we were sent to this earth to experience opposition, so that we might know the good from the evil.

In Moses 5:11, Eve says, "Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient."

It's hard whilst in pain, darkness or sadness to see that these things are for our learning, so that we might be able to recognize our blessings. Sometimes it seems it might be easier, just to have everything be perfectly wonderful all of the time; to not have to worry...but without the opposition in life, we would not know the beauty of our blessings. President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "The valleys of discouragement make more beautiful the peaks of achievement."

How do we do that? How do we sit back in our despair and trial and "see the bright side," when all we are feeling is lost? It's very hard to do, but luckily, we have the ability to go to our Heavenly Father in prayer and ask for His comfort. Sometimes, that's all we get is comfort. Not an answer that everything is going to be okay, or that we will not deal with despair any longer, but just the assurance that everything will be okay.

We are promised that when we live righteous lives, and do what the Lord says, that He will bless us. “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise” (D&C 82:10) So, our comfort comes in knowing we are doing the right things and progressing towards becoming more like Him. We have great blessings promised to us, when we are living God's law.

I, personally, am a worrier. I am a stress-er. I am an anxiety attack waiting to happen. I have let that kind of thinking debilitate me in so many ways, but lately, I have been really trying hard to accept the opposition in life. Things can't always be wonderful, and the reality is that! That there is opposition in all things! Until this time in my life, I haven't been able to truly look at our trials and struggles with an appreciation for the lessons that I can learn from them. It's a daily battle, to find the courage to get up and fight through the feelings of stress, anxiety and worry, but I am comforted in the Lord's promise, and in the words of a prophet that assure me that we must taste the bitter to know the sweet. And in my heart, through the comfort that the Spirit of the Lord provides, I feel that sweet assurance and peace, that we can and will endure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post Stacy...it's just perfect and just what I needed to hear today!

Sara Marie said...

I loved this post. It's a lot like what we were talking about today. I want you to know how much I appreciate the advise that you give me. I can really relate this to my life in so many ways. Not to get too personal, but whatever, I have said for a long time now that having been through so many of the trials I faced in my marriage and then through the divorce I know that when I eventually get remarried to a man who loves and respects me I will be so much more appreciative than maybe I would have been before. Even just little acts of kindness, I know, will be such a big deal to me. Maybe part of the reason I needed to go through so many tuff times was to teach me to be more humble and more appreciative, I dont know. But I do know that its true, the bitter times make the sweet times so much sweeter. I thought the quote you used for D&C was very comforting too. I find great comfort in knowing that I will be blessed for doing the right thing.

Finding Strength said...

Brittany,
Thanks for your comment. I think I need to read this post EVERYDAY! Because opposition comes up and its just important to remember to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sara,
Actually, our conversation kind of inspired this post. You have had A LOT of opposition in your life, and your example of how you've handled it has inspired me in so many ways to deal with what I have on my plate.
You will find the sweetness that results from all the bitter you have been dealing with. You will be blessed, because you are doing the right things. The Lord is bound, and He's promised you. You just have to do your part, and try, and thats what you do every day!
I love you! Thanks for being such a great friend and example.