This is an open blog, to any and all that would like to share their thoughts on ways that you find strength throughout life.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Somebody's Hero

I was driving in the car yesterday, listening to a country station and a song came on that I'd recognized hearing. I even kind of knew the chorus absentmindedly singing along without really thinking. But I stopped to listen to the words this time...really listen. Soon, the tears began to stream down my face. The song was "Somebody's Hero"-Jamie O'Neal. The lyrics are below, as well as a link to the music video. I suggest the video for the full effect...

Music Video


Somebody's Her0-Jamie O'Neal
She's never pulled anyone from a burning building
She's never rocked Central Park to a half a million fans,
screaming out her name
She's never hit a shot to win the game
She's never left her footprints on the moon
She's never made a solo hot air balloon ride,
around the world,
No, she's just your everyday average girl (but)

She's somebody's hero
A hero to her baby with a skinned up knee
A little kiss is all she needs
The keeper of the cheerios
The voice that brings Snow White to life
Bedtime stories every night
And that smile lets her know
She's somebody's hero
She didn't get a check every week like a nine-to fiver
But she's been a waiter, and a cook and a taxi driver
For twenty years, there at home,
until the day her girl was grown
Giving all her love to her was her life's ambition
But now her baby's movin' on,
and she'll soon be missin' her
But not today, those are tears of joy runnin' down her face

She's somebody's hero
A hero to her daughter in her wedding dress
She gave her wings to leave the nest
It hurts to let her baby go down the aisle she walks right by
Looks back into her mother's eyes
And that smile lets her know
She's somebody's hero

Thirty years have flown right past
Her daughters' starin' at all the photographs
Of her mother, and she wishes she could be like that
Oh, but she already is
She's somebody's hero
A hero to her mother in a rockin' chair
She runs a brush through her silver hair
The envy of the nursing home
She drops by every afternoon
Feeds her mama with a spoon
And that smile lets her know
Her mother's smile lets her know
She's somebody's hero

I felt connected to this song on a number of levels. I first thought of my own sweet baby. I looked into the backseat where she was asleep in her carseat, and I just imagined how the years are going to absolutely fly by...and how that process has already blown my mind. I pictured that not too long from now, I'll be there helping her put her veil in her hair and she'll be wiping my tears.

I also connected this song with one of my own hero's; my mother, and for all of the same reasons that I felt that way about my baby. And because I know for so many years, she has done so much for her family, without the same recognition or reward one would get for many other accomplishments in life. I'm so grateful to her for instilling in me what an important role a mother plays in a childs life, and always being there to be my friend and hero.

Lastly, I really felt connected to another one of my hero's; my husband. Even though this song sort of focused on the bond between a mother and daughter, I thought of all that my husband does for our family, a lot of times without recognition. His sacrifices for our family are immeasurable and just as important as anything that I do at home, because its why we have a home and a life.

I know this post is a little bit on the personal side, and doesn't really seem to be on the "spiritual" side, but I actually would like to tie in a quote from Stand a Little Taller.

"REARING CHILDREN
But I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth.- Doctrine and Coventants 93:40
Rear your children in love, in the nurtue and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones, welcome them into your homes, and love them with all your hearts. They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried. Never forget that."-Gordon B. Hinckley
And so today, what my thought is going to be on is trying. Trying so hard to be exactly the type of mother I dream of. I know I will fail in many efforts. I know sometimes it will feel unacknowledged and I will walk away from a day asking myself what I have even accomplished, but I will always continue to try. Because, as President Hinckley stated, "You have not failed as long as you have tried." I think the same is true for fathers.
One of the greatest callings we can hold is being a parent. We are entrusted with another of God's children and are responsible for teaching them, by example, to be righteous and love God. I'm overwhelmed and so incredibly grateful for my opportunities to experience parenthood. I'm grateful that there are so many wonderful examples to look to in life all around me of people that are "Somebody's Hero". Whether you are rearing your children side by side with a spouse, or a single mother, single father...whatever the situation may be, YOU are somebody's hero...and your efforts will make all the difference in their lives.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that song too!! Everytime I hear it I cry....gosh dangit!

Sara Marie said...

That is an incredible song! It was getting a lot of radio play when I was pregnant with Ryder, it made me cry then and it still makes me cry now. I love the "keeper of the cheerios" line. Whenever I sing it I change all the "she's" to "he's" for Ryder..haha. I believe being a parent is one of the greatest blessings we receive in this life. No other experience teaches as much as parenthood. I have learned in the last couple years more about myself, how to be more patient, more selfless, more loving, than I think I had in the prior 25 years. Being a parent, I believe, truly teaches us a greater understanding of the love our Father in Heaven has for us. My whole life I related the love Father in Heaven has for me to how my father here on Earth loves me. But now, being a parent, I feel like I have an even greater understanding, or a different understanding, of our Fathers unconditional, forgiving love. I know that if I love Ryder this much, our Fathers love for us must be unbelievably greater, because his love is a perfect parents love. That is a lesson I am eternally grateful for. I'm excited to see over the years how much more I have to learn from raising my little boy. It's such a blessing! Have you heard the song by Sara Evens called “You’ll Always be My Baby”? I actually blogged about it last night. Another really great song about parenthood. You should check it out.

Sara Marie said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you also, that the little baby girl in the very end of the video is really Jamie O’Neil’s daughter. According to my dad, who is a CMT junkie (ha! Not kidding), Jamie O’Neil was inspired to write this song after her little girl was born. Jamie had her baby and at the same time her grandmother was very sick and her mother spent a lot of time caring for her grandmother. And I guess watching all the stages of life at once through their four generations inspired her. Kinda neat. I actually gave both my mom and step mom this CD for mothers day two years ago.

Finding Strength said...

Sara,
Thank you for bringing up relating parenthood to how our Father in Heaven loves us. It's so crucial to see that connection between the two, because that's where we'll draw our strength and unconditional love.
I love that you said how you have learned more in the last two years than your whole life. I, too, feel the same way. I feel like I've discovered a lot about myself too. Good and bad. I've realized that I don't have as much patience as I thought, but I really need to work on it.
I figured that was her daughter at the end of the video. I didn't know that about her mom. What a cool inspiration and reason for a song!
I'm going to check out that other song. Thanks!

Dave and Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, I have so many emotions running through me. I have Andalyn on my lap as I type and as I wateched that video. I just sat with her and rocked her while I watched and cried. I can't explain how I feel but I'm sure anyone who has a mom or is a mom knows! It also makes me think of grandma and mom's relationship! I miss grandma!

Finding Strength said...

Court-it's an emotional video, right?? I loved it. Last night at the temple, I was thinking a lot about Grandma, and I thought about how we've been sad that Mom has been different since she passed. But I realized, how can she NOT be different? I would be forever changed if I lost her out of my life. Thank you for bringing up Grandma...I miss her too. More than I think I even realize sometimes.