This is an open blog, to any and all that would like to share their thoughts on ways that you find strength throughout life.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Perfect

What to write for your first post? How to begin a blog like this...and let alone continue it on, is all an experiment to me. The complete process of this is an experiment and so I guess there are no rules when it comes to an experiment. That's kind of the point. So, as I embark on this new outlet for STRENGTH, POSITIVITY, SHARING, HOPE and LOVE...I decided what better way than to begin with a word from a beloved Prophet of my church, Gordon B. Hinckley. I picked up his book, Stand A Little Taller, which is a quote book to give counsel and inspiritaion for each day of the year. I decided to start with today's date, to see if I could find a relatable quote. What I found was perfect:

"ABIDING LOVE
Love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
-Romans 13:8
In a changing world, love can be a constant. It is something that, when sincere, never moves. It is the very essence of the teachings of Christ. It is the security of the home. It is the safeguard of community life. It is a beacon of hope in a world of distress." ~Gordon B. Hinckley
I found this "Thought of the Day" so completely perfect, because it sort of explains why I even decided to start this blog in the first place. The last sentence states a very major, very serious, very real fact : that our world is in distress. And in the first sentence of his quote, he gives us a tool to help us cope with the ever changing world. A tool to cling to constantly, when everything else is moving and changing; LOVE. Love has so many shapes and forms. Love means a million different things to every person. Love manifests itself in a plethora of ways throughout our lives. For me, love is what I live for. The love that I share with my spouse, children, extended family and friends is invaluable in my life. I could express that love for days, and I'm sure in later posts, I will. However, I want to focus on a different type of love in my life. I live for the love I feel from my Father in Heaven, and His Son, Jesus Christ. That unconditional, charitable love that will never change. I can cling to that and know, that no matter what happens in this world, if I cling to that one true constant, I will always have comfort, peace and hope. As President Hinckley says, "It is a beacon of hope".
So, when I say this quote encompasses my exact purposes for this blog, I mean that the strength we are looking for can be found in different forms of love. We search for that strength wherever good place we can find it, because our world is in distress and we need to find the good wherever we can, and cherish it. I pray that this blog can be one of those places for me, and for anyone else who may need it. A place where we can ponder and share our light and love with others.

5 comments:

Sara Marie said...

I know that throughout the past year...or four (ha) The one thing that has got me through even the darkest of days is "the beacon of hope" and knowledge of Christ’s pure and unconditional love in my life. It truly does heal all wounds.

Marc and Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Finding Strength said...

Sara,
You never truly know happiness until you've experienced the depths of sorrow. You, my friend, deserve every happiness in the world. I'm so grateful for your example of faithfulness, and I know that there were times where your "beacon of hope" was barely a flicker down a dark tunnel, and you kept going. Truly inspiring to all those who know you. Thanks so much for your comments.

Dave and Courtney said...

I really found peace reading this post. It brought me back to my mission and the times that the love of my Heavenly Father got me through some rough times. I am so grateful for those times though because it just strengthens my testimony that that love does exist.

Finding Strength said...

Thank you for your comment Court. One of the reasons I have learned to love unconditionally is because I have learned from you. You emulate charity, the pure love of Christ in all that you do. Truly...and I am so blessed to have you in my life.