This is an open blog, to any and all that would like to share their thoughts on ways that you find strength throughout life.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Procrastination

I won't be as long winded today as I usually am. Yesterday's post was long enough for three days I'm sure. But, I had this thought on my mind and I wanted to read about it just a little bit. I needed some good motivation to stop perpetuating my problem of PROCRASTINATION!

When I was working and had a set schedule in my life, it was so easy to keep up that schedule. I was expected to be up in morning with my running partner...she counted on me and I counted on her. I was expected to be at work. I was expected to be off by a certain time to pick up my child. People expected me and my absence would have caused a problem.

I have some areas in my life where this is still so...but not nearly as much. No one cares now if I sleep as long as my baby. No one expects me to get up and work out with them. No one knows that I threw out my healthy eating and had cake for breakfast. No one knows that instead of reading my scriptures this morning, I checked my email. No one except my husband knows that instead of studying last night, I fell asleep.

And my resolve is always this: I'll do better tomorrow. I'll start Monday. I'll begin at the beginning of the month next month. Yada-yada-yada! Yeah right...even I don't believe myself anymore. I feel like calling myself a liar...and I will, You are a liar. And the reason I am a liar about this, is because I have not tackled the real problem, which is procrastination. And really, there is no time for it.

President Spencer W. Kimball said,“One of the most serious human defects in all ages is procrastination,” and then he defined it: “an unwillingness to accept personal responsibility now."

I don't want to be someone who puts off my personal responsibilities. How can anyone ever trust me with a responsibility if I can't even trust myself?

Now, obviously I am being a little exaggerative. I'm not a lazy couch potatoe, in fact I don't even watch TV much anymore. But the things I want most in life have simple answers. For me to just take some action and "Do It"! That was President Kimballs motto..."Do It!"

This article I found on the church website, by a Ron Woods, called Taking Control of Your Life and Other Odds and Ends had some great tactics for helping get over the habit of procrastination. I would recommend reading it.
One of the tactics is to "Sneak up on it!"

And so my goal is to do just that. Sneak up on the things I want in life, little by little. I don't have to do it ALL today...but I can make little steps towards the future and make the decision that today will be a day of progress and not one of procrastination.

And to end it, some fun quotes from my new favorite quote site:


"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank

"How does a project get to be a year behind schedule? One day at a time."~Fred Brooks

Don't put off today. Because you'll never get it back.

2 comments:

Dave and Courtney said...

I needed that one! I have a huge problem with that! I will have to read that article!

Sara Marie said...

Gosh I needed that. I would say that procrastination is probably one of my biggest problems. I am horrible about it. I need to clean my fridge so bad...I've keep saying tomorrow, tomorrow, I'm too tired tonight, tomorrow... Blah. Same thing with dieting. I always say I'll start fresh tomorrow, or after the weekend... so annoying. Thanks for this. Today is the day.

On a side note... we should run in the mornings when I come to drop Ryder off 3 days a week... If you're up for going at like 7:30 am, I'd be up for making the commitment! i could use the added motivation! I have a jogging stroller we could put the kids in.